Individual Income Tax for Expats in China

Posted by Reading Time: 6 minutes

By Dezan Shira & Associates
Editor: Jake Liddle

China’s Individual Income Tax (IIT) Law stipulates that all individuals working and deriving income from within the territory of China are subject to IIT.

While Chinese nationals are taxed on all income sourced both domestically and overseas, non-Chinese nationals are only taxed on income deriving from within China.

An individual’s salary is taxed according to progressive rates, while other types of income are taxed at variable rates depending on their nature.

Though IIT is usually filed by employers’ HR and payroll teams on behalf of employees, both parties should be aware of tax thresholds, and implement sufficient salary planning to reduce tax liability. Furthermore, individuals are required to make annual declarations before the end of the financial year.

In this article, we give a general overview of how IIT works for foreign nationals working China.

Taxable income for expatriates

The calculation for IIT liability is dependent on the source of income, how long one has worked in China, and whether or not income is sourced within or outside of China.

TAX 9 edition_87


Whether or not income is sourced inside or outside of China is determined by how long an individual has actually worked in China. The following income types are deemed China-sourced income regardless of where the payment is made:

  • Income from providing services in China;
  • Income from leasing property to a lessee for use in China;
  • Income from transferring property located in China, such as buildings and land-use rights;
  • Income from licensing the use of proprietary rights in China; and,
  • Interest, dividend, and bonus income derived from companies, enterprises, and other organizations or individuals in China.

Employers and expatriates that would like to see more in depth information on tax liability, including scenarios that assess ‘time in China’ calculations, should review this article.

Related Link IconRELATED: Tax, Accounting and Audit in China 2017

IIT on income and deductions


IIT on salary, which is any income received from employment including bonuses and stock options, is set at progressive rates from three to 45 percent. It is usually withheld from wages by employers and paid to the tax authorities on a monthly basis.

The basic formula for calculating monthly IIT is as follows:

Monthly taxable income x applicable tax rate quick deduction = monthly tax payable

TAX 9 edition_76

Monthly taxable income is calculated after a standard reduction of RMB 4,800 for foreign nationals, including residents of Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan.

Contributions to Chinese social insurance as well as other employment benefits can also be added to pre-tax deduction, as long as relevant requirements are met and relevant fapiao are provided. Employment benefits include:

  • Allowances for housing, meals, relocation, and laundry expenses;
  • Relocation expenses upon commencement or cessation of employment in China;
  • Reasonable business travel expenses and two personal trips to the individual’s country of origin; and,
  • Reasonable allowances for language training and children’s education.

Such allowances are not obligatory for an employer to provide, and should be discussed with employees. As benefits paid in cash may be subject to IIT, reimbursement is an effective alternative for reducing IIT.

Annual bonuses

Many companies in China offer annual bonuses at the end of the year, for which IIT is calculated as follows:

IIT on lump sum – annual bonus = (lump sum annual bonus x monthly IIT rate applicable to 1/12 of lump sum annual bonus) – corresponding monthly quick deduction

To determine the applicable IIT rate on the bonus, the lump sum annual bonus should be divided by 12 to find the corresponding tax rate, shown in the table below:

TAX 9 edition_78
Annual bonuses are often a major factor for employees to select jobs. However, the inclusion of an annual bonus in taxable income can significantly impact tax liability.

Stocks, restricted stock units and equity bonds

Stock options, restricted stock units (RSUs), or equity incentives are forms of compensation offered by an employer to an employee in the form of company stocks and shares.

They are given to employees over a set period of time according to a planned schedule, usually based on performance or time milestones.

According to relevant laws regarding stocks and bonds, IIT applies to income derived from such shares and units only upon the date they are obtained or ‘activated’, and not from the date they are granted.

Careful salary planning can allow employees to take home as much value by staying within the applicable tax rate thresholds as stipulated by China’s tax laws, as minimal salary increases may push taxable income over the thresholds and significantly affect IIT liability.

Professional Service_CB icons_2015RELATED: Audit and Financial Services from Dezan Shira & Associates

Payment and declaration

Although IIT is usually automatically withheld from salaries by employers and paid monthly to tax authorities on a monthly basis, an annual IIT declaration should be submitted to the relevant tax authorities within three months of the end of the previous calendar year.

This should be done between January 1 and March 31 for the previous calendar year for taxpayers who meet at least one of the following five conditions:

  • Have an annual income (both employment income and non-employment income) of more than RMB 120,000;
  • Derive income from two or more places in China;
  • Derive income from sources outside China (this applies only to a resident or non-resident individual in China who has resided in China for more than one year);
  • Received taxable income for which there is no withholding agent;
  • Other conditions required by the State Council.

Individuals are required to submit their annual IIT declarations regardless of whether their IIT liabilities have been fulfilled. A non-resident individual residing in China for less than one year during the tax year is exempt from this requirement.

Anti-tax evasion efforts increase importance of compliance

China’s tax authorities have been stepping up anti-tax evasion measures in recent years, having improved investigation methods aimed at foreigners. In Beijing, by screening zero tax declarations and singling out foreign enterprises with high profit margins and foreign personnel, the Chaoyang Local Taxation Bureau was able to collect over RMB 200,000 worth of IIT evaded.

Expatriates and their employers should there seek to ensure IIT is being paid in a correct and timely fashion, and to conduct annual declarations. In Beijing and Shanghai, and other major cities, individuals are able to make annual declarations online, through WeChat official accounts and on other mobile phone apps. Efforts to improve the ease of filing will go a long way to improve compliance, but expatriates and their employers will still need to put their best foot forward.


China Briefing is published by Asia Briefing, a subsidiary of Dezan Shira & Associates. We produce material for foreign investors throughout Asia, including ASEAN, India, Indonesia, Russia, the Silk Road, and Vietnam. For editorial matters please contact us here, and for a complimentary subscription to our products, please click here.

Dezan Shira & Associates is a full service practice in China, providing business intelligence, due diligence, legal, tax, IT, HR, payroll, and advisory services throughout the China and Asian region. For assistance with China business issues or investments into China, please contact us at or visit us at

Related Reading

dsa brochure

Dezan Shira & Associates Brochure

Dezan Shira & Associates is a pan-Asia, multi-disciplinary professional services firm, providing legal, tax and operational advisory to international corporate investors. Operational throughout China, ASEAN and India, our mission is to guide foreign companies through Asia’s complex regulatory environment and assist them with all aspects of establishing, maintaining and growing their business operations in the region. This brochure provides an overview of the services and expertise Dezan Shira & Associates can provide.

DSA Guide_An Introduction to Doing Business in China 2017_Cover90x126

An Introduction to Doing Business in China 2017

This Dezan Shira & Associates 2017 China guide provides a comprehensive background and details of all aspects of setting up and operating an American business in China, including due diligence and compliance issues, IP protection, corporate establishment options, calculating tax liabilities, as well as discussing on-going operational issues such as managing bookkeeping, accounts, banking, HR, Payroll, annual license renewals, audit, FCPA compliance and consolidation with US standards and Head Office reporting.

Payroll Processing in China Challenges and Solutions

Payroll Processing in China: Challenges and Solutions

In this issue of China Briefing magazine, we lay out the challenges presented by China’s payroll landscape, including its peculiar Dang An and Hu Kou systems. We then explore how companies of all sizes are leveraging IT-enabled solutions to meet their HR and payroll needs, and why outsourcing payroll is the answer for certain company structures. Finally, we consider the potential for China to emerge as Asia’s premier payroll processing center.


Dezan Shira & Associates


21 thoughts on “Individual Income Tax for Expats in China

    Anne Mendoza says:

    Hello, can you share a source or a site of where you get social security updates for all hukou’s?

    China Briefing says:

    Hello Anne,

    Each municipal government releases social security updates individually. You can find the latest information for key cities in China in our forthcoming update to our Human Resources & Payroll in China guide.

    Tan says:

    where can I see a example of 30 000 rmb income for a foreginer working in Xiamen Fujian china.

    I found to many version.

    Freda Muller says:

    Good day

    I recently signed an employment contract with a company providing online English classes to public schools in China. I am currently living in South Africa and will be working from here. My salary will be $US 800 and I was told that a 7% transaction tax will be deducted by the Chinese government before it is sent to me.
    I can’t seem to get enough information on this transaction tax and would like to know if it is legitimate or not

    China Briefing says:

    Hello Freda,

    Your employer may be referring to individual income tax (IIT), or possibly bank charges for remitting money. For more information on IIT, please consult this article:
    For more information on taxation in China, please consult our tax specialists here:

    Ghinny says:

    Hi. What about countries that have double tax treaty with China? Should it’s citizens working in China pay taxes?

    China Briefing says:

    Hello Ghinny,

    The tax obligations of citizens from countries that have double tax agreements with China depend on the specific agreement in question and supporting implementation guidelines. It also depends on factors such as the stay period and who is paying the income.

    Additionally, some countries have social insurance agreements that can affect tax obligations:
    For more information, please contact our tax specialists here:

    Tristan says:

    Some colleages and myself are in a position where we will be paid with a lump sum this month which will mean we will be taxed at 45 percent as we are being paid well over 80,000RMB for that month only. However this is lump sum and our monthly salary is far lower, where the highest tax rate is around 25 to 30 percent. Is there any way to get tax refunded over the annual year like many countries?

    China Briefing says:

    Hello Tristan,

    A lump sum bonus of RMB 80,000 should be taxed at 20 percent. Generally, China does not have tax refunds for businesses. However, you could contact the local tax bureau in to confirm whether there are any applicable tax incentives in your jurisdiction.

    Derek says:

    I am on an h1b in the us and employed by a US employer .i am a prc citizen. If I was to travel and work out of the China office would I be taxed in the us or China, if I stay for 90 days or less?

    China Briefing says:

    Hi Derek,

    If you are working out of your company’s China office for less than 90 days in a year, in general you should not be liable to pay IIT in China. However, there are special rules for senior management. For more information, please contact our tax specialists:

    Man says:

    If an expatriate visits china for a week and provide an one-off training in China. The remuneration is borne by a china enterprise, apart from withholding IIT, would the china enterprise need to withhold also VAT and sub-tax also? thank you.

    China Briefing says:

    Hello Man,

    Thank you for your inquiry. Please contact our tax specialists for taxation of temporary activities in China:

    Nuala Ni Chonlain says:

    Hi, I am in my first year contract with a company in China. My salary after tax is 26,995. The company has now informed me that my contract will change(mid contract). Some questions….Is it a requirement to supply boarding passes to reclaim flight allowance for tax purposes? should reimbursement of same be taxed? On new contract salary is increased slightly but end of service bonus has been reduced by 5000 Rmb? Is this legit? so year 1 bonus 25,000, year 2 if I accept new contract 20,000. I thought bonus was a percentage of salary? If any one can enlighten me in layman terms, it would be appreciated. Thank you.

    China Briefing says:


    Thank you for your inquiry. Please contact our tax specialists for advice on your situation:

    Sushil Agarawal says:


    I recently received an employment contract in Shenzhen. My monthly salary is almost 90,000 RMB. I understood that there are some benefits in kind like housing, children education etc for foreigners to reduce the tax burden. However, there is a limit and this limit varies city to city in China. Would you pls apprise what is the applicable limit as % of salary in Shenzhen.

    Thank you

    China Briefing says:

    Hello Sushil,

    Thank you for your inquiry. Please contact our HR specialists for information on regional incentives:

    Tom Chapman says:

    Hi I was wondering if you can help. I am a foreigner employed in Beijing but my company wants me to move to Shanghai. I’ve been told I can keep my same Beijing visa and live in Shanghai. But would I keep paying Beijing tax or Shanghai tax. And if I pay Beijing tax, could I claim the rental tax deduction for a rental contract based in Shanghai? Thanks 🙂

    China Briefing says:

    Hello Tom,

    In general, rental fapiao in Shanghai can be used in Beijing. However, it is best to consult with the tax bureau in charge, as this may be determined on a case-by-case basis. Further, it is recommended that you confirm whether your existing work permit and residence permit allows you to work and live in Shanghai. If not, these will have to be transferred.

    For more questions, please consult our HR specialists:

    Ming says:

    Hi, my husband is employed by a multinational since mid Oct 2016. Since he is a foreigner is living in Beijing for less than 90 days in 2016, he was informed that there is no need to file the annual tax return even though witholding taxes were deducted from his salary each month. The problem that we ran into is that our home country wants a copy of the 2016 annual tax return which he does not have as he was advised that it is not required by China Income Tax Dept. My question is… can he choose to submit the 2016 Self Declaration Tax return now in order to satisfy our home country tax requirement? Will he be penalized by the Chinese Tax office for doing so? Is it possible to obtain some publications( Eng version) from the China Income Tax Dept regarding this 90 day rule for foreigners so that we can show it as proof to our local tax authority?Thanks

    China Briefing says:

    Hello Ming,

    Thank you for your inquiry. Please contact our tax specialists for advisory on your husband’s situation:

Comments are closed.