Jiangsu Province Releases Opinions on Taxation During Tax Conversion
Sept. 26 – The Jiangsu Provincial Office of the State Administration of Taxation (SAT) and the Jiangsu Local Taxation Bureau jointly issued the “Opinions on Properly Handling the Administration of Taxation during the Business Tax to Value-Added Tax (VAT) Pilot Conversion Transition (suguoshuifa,  No.143, hereinafter referred to as ‘Opinions’)” on September 12, aiming to promote the smooth implementation of the pilot conversion. Key provisions of the Opinions are listed below.
Issues regarding the administration of taxation
- VAT for taxable services provided by pilot taxpayers after October 1, 2012 shall be declared and paid according to relevant regulations; for taxable services provided before October 1, 2012, the VAT thereof shall be paid according to the original regulations.
- Where VAT has already been paid for taxable services provided before October 1, 2012, but the business turnover thereof decreases due to refund, the business tax already paid shall be refunded after the application for tax refund has been approved by the local taxation bureau.
- Tax defaulted by pilot taxpayers before October 1, 2012, and the late fees and monetary fines thereof shall be pursued by the local taxation bureau.
- Where pilot taxpayers discover by themselves that the supplementary tax payment shall be made for the taxable services provided before October 1, 2012, they shall make such payments to the local taxation bureau according to the current policy regulations.
- Where the local taxation bureau – through tax payment evaluation, taxation inspection and cancellation check – discovers the pilot taxpayers have committed tax offenses, such as tax underpayment, tax evasion, tax fraud, or refusal to pay tax before October 1, 2012, they shall be responsible for pursuing the tax underpaid and handling the cases.
Dezan Shira & Associates is a specialist foreign direct investment practice, providing corporate establishment, business advisory, tax advisory and compliance, accounting, payroll, due diligence and financial review services to multinationals investing in emerging Asia.
You can stay up to date with the latest business and investment trends across China by subscribing to The China Advantage, our complimentary update service featuring news, commentary, guides, and multimedia resources.
- Previous Article Opinions Issued on Promoting the Steady Growth of Foreign Trade
- Next Article China’s SAT Issues FAQs Relating to Tax Payments: Part I