Reincarnation of Tibetan Buddhas must obtain government approval

Posted by Reading Time: 1 minute

The Fourth Dalai LamaTrawling through some of the blogs this week I happened upon this news snippet courtsey of Stan Abrams at China Hearsey, in which China’s State Administration of Religious Affairs has cited the need for central government approval for living buddhas to be recognized. The actual People’s Daily piece is here.

All of which brings us neatly onto the subject of Buddhism, and a quick plug for those that are interested in the subject for the new issue of Mongolia Expat, which details the life of the Fourth Dalai Lama – the only one born in Mongolia, and which also explains the circumstances around the creation and recognition of the position of Dalai Lama by Altai Khan, a great grandson of Genghis Khan, back in 1578. The magazine also details the history of Buddhism in Mongolia and features the making of Sand Madalas and an account of the life of the great China / Mongolia / Central Asia explorer Sven Hedin.

It’s a great read and nice to have something cultural for the weekend.

5 thoughts on “Reincarnation of Tibetan Buddhas must obtain government approval

Law Office of Todd L. Platek says:

Chris, where do I get the application form?

Andy Scott says:

Todd,

You can download the current Mongolia Expat issue at http://www.mongoliaexpat.com.

Chris Devonshire-Ellis says:

I think he meant the application form from the Chinese Government to get permission to be reincarnated. Lawyers can’t apply however on the basis we’re too evil. Mind you, some of the reincarnated Lamas of yesteryear were pretty bad dudes from time to time as well….being reborn doesn’t necessarily equate to being reborn “nice”. My ten year old daughter told me she wanted to be reincarnated as a Dolphin until I told her she’d miss her favorite TV soap, and she quickly dumped that idea…..

Andy Scott says:

Ah yes, though that could be worth looking into as a China Briefing technical guide. As for who can apply, a hundred bad lawyer jokes come to mind (I always wondered if bad was meant to modify joke or lawyer). I wonder where in the cycle of death and rebirth being born as a party official lies? Personally, I always thought being reborn as a sacred Indian cow wouldn’t be so bad, though the four stomachs thing always put me off a bit.

Law Office of Todd L. Platek says:

Gentlemen, I think I’d make a fine world religious leader, and feel an internal tugging that I need to share my urge with the State Administration of Religious Affairs. (Say, is there a State Administration of Non-Religious Affairs?) If you fellows can’t furnish me with the application papers (what’s the fee to apply? is it a worldly or other-worldly charge? ), then next time I am in BJ (I assume that’s where these luminaries sit and dictate Religious Affairs policy) I will just walk into that official body in full religious garb, demand my reincarnation rights (and rites) under State law and due and proper Sinophilia, and get reincarnated. I suppose if I pay a bit more, to hurry the paperwork and blessings, they can do an expedited reincarnation?