China Clarifies Deadlines for Filing Tax Returns in 2021
China clarified the specific deadlines for filing tax returns in 2021 through the Circular about Clarifying the Deadlines for Filing Tax Returns in 2021 (Shui Zong Ban Han  No.242) issued by the State Taxation Administration (STA) on December 9, 2020.
For taxes which are supposed to be filed within 15 days after the end of a month or a quarter, the deadlines for filing tax returns in certain months will be adjusted due to statutory public holidays in 2021.
For next March, July, September, November, and December, the deadlines for filing tax returns will still be the 15th day of the respective month. However, the deadlines in other months will be granted an extension in accordance with the number of public holidays within the deadline.
Specific deadlines for filing tax returns in 2021 are shown as below:
- January: January 20, 2021 – after New Year Holiday (January 1-3, 2021)
- February: February 23, 2021 – after Spring Festival Holiday (February 11-17, 2021)
- March: March 15, 2021
- April: April 20, 2021 – after Tomb Sweeping Festival Holiday (April 3-5, 2021)
- May: May 21, 2021 – after Labor Day Holiday (May 1-5, 2021)
- June: June 18, 2021 – after Dragon Boat Festival Holiday (June 12-14, 2021)
- July: July 15, 2021
- August: August 16, 2021
- September: September 15, 2021
- October: October 26, 2021 – after National Day Holiday (October 1-7, 2021)
- November: November 15, 2021
- December: December 15, 2021
To be noted, regional tax bureaus might adjust the deadlines under special circumstances after the approval of the STA, thus, taxpayers must also be aware of regional rules.
China Briefing is written and produced by Dezan Shira & Associates. The practice assists foreign investors into China and has done so since 1992 through offices in Beijing, Tianjin, Dalian, Qingdao, Shanghai, Hangzhou, Ningbo, Suzhou, Guangzhou, Dongguan, Zhongshan, Shenzhen, and Hong Kong. Please contact the firm for assistance in China at email@example.com.
We also maintain offices assisting foreign investors in Vietnam, Indonesia, Singapore, The Philippines, Malaysia, Thailand, United States, and Italy, in addition to our practices in India and Russia and our trade research facilities along the Belt & Road Initiative.