Transit Visa Exemptions in China: 24 Hour, 72 Hour, and 144 Hour Options

Posted on by

By Dezan Shira & Associates

China Visas

Foreign travelers transiting through China have several options for transit visa exemptions. These transit visa exemptions allow eligible foreign travelers a visa free visit for 24, 72, or 144 hours.

Although requirements for each transit visa exemption are different, each transit visa exemption stipulates that foreign travelers are only eligible when traveling through China between two different countries. Further, onward travel must occur within 24, 72, or 144 hours of arrival.

To obtain a transit visa exemption, travelers should review eligibility requirements, and confirm their eligibility with their local Chinese embassy. After confirmation, travelers must communicate their intention to obtain a transit visa exemption to their airline prior to travel. The airline will liaise with border control officials, who grant transit visa exemptions to travelers that meet requirements after verification.

In most cases, the transit visa exemption only allows the traveler to visit the province of their arrival.

Related-Link_CB-icons_2017 RELATED: Business Travel in China: HR, Logistical, and Tax Considerations

The 24 hour Transit Visa Exemption

Foreign travelers transiting through China within 24 hours to reach another country of destination may be eligible for a 24 hour Transit Visa Exemption. This visa exemption is available to all foreigners, and most ports of entry in China.

The 72 hour Transit Visa Exemption

Foreign travelers transiting through China within 72 hours to reach another country of destination may be eligible for the 72 hour Transit Visa Exemption. This visa exemption is only available to citizens of participating countries traveling through participating ports of entry in China.

To obtain this visa exemption, the foreign national must have a valid passport from one of the 53 countries, which includes:

  • 24 Schengen countries in Europe (Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Finland, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland);
  • 15 other European countries (Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland, Macedonia, Monaco, Montenegro, Romania, Russia, Serbia, UK, and Ukraine);
  • Six countries in North and South America (Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Mexico, and US);
  • Six Asian countries (Brunei, Japan, Qatar, Singapore, South Korea, and UAE); and,
  • Two Oceanic countries (Australia and New Zealand).

Further, eligible travelers must be transiting through one of the following 19 cities: Beijing, Changsha, Chengdu, Chongqing, Dalian, Guangzhou, Guilin, Hangzhou, Harbin, Kunming, Nanjing, Qingdao, Shanghai, Shenyang, Shenzhen, Tianjin, Wuhan, Xiamen, or Xi’an.

Notably, authorities continue to expand the list of cities where 72 hour Transit Visa Exemptions are applicable.

Professional-Service_CB-icons-2017 International Payroll & HR Solutions from Dezan Shira & Associates

The 144 hour Transit Visa Exemption

Foreign travelers transiting through China within 144 hours to reach another country of destination may be eligible for the 144 hour Transit Visa Exemption. This visa exemption is available to citizens of countries that are eligible for the 72 hour Transit Visa Exemption; however, the number of paticipating cities is more limited.

To obtain this visa exemption, the foreign national must have a valid passport from one of the 53 countries that are eligible for the 72 hour Transit Visa Exemption. The 144 hour Transit Visa Exemption was first introduced to three cities in East China’s Shanghai-Jiangsu-Zhejiang area: Hangzhou, Shanghai, and Nanjing. As of December 28, 2017, the exemption was expanded to North China’s Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei region, namely: Beijing, Shijiazhuang, Tianjin, and Qinhuangdao.

Authorities have announced that the visa exemption will be expanded to South China’s Guangdong province, in the cities of Guangzhou, Jieyang, and Shenzhen.

This article was originally published on September 6, 2017 and has been updated with the latest regulatory changes.


China Briefing is published by Asia Briefing, a subsidiary of Dezan Shira & Associates. We produce material for foreign investors throughout Asia, including ASEAN, India, Indonesia, Russia, the Silk Road, and Vietnam. For editorial matters please contact us here, and for a complimentary subscription to our products, please click here.

Dezan Shira & Associates is a full service practice in China, providing business intelligence, due diligence, legal, tax, IT, HR, payroll, and advisory services throughout the China and Asian region. For assistance with China business issues or investments into China, please contact us at or visit us at

Related Reading

dsa brochure

Dezan Shira & Associates is a pan-Asia, multi-disciplinary professional services firm, providing legal, tax and operational advisory to international corporate investors. Operational throughout China, ASEAN and India, our mission is to guide foreign companies through Asia’s complex regulatory environment and assist them with all aspects of establishing, maintaining and growing their business operations in the region. This brochure provides an overview of the services and expertise Dezan Shira & Associates can provide.

DSA Guide_An Introduction to Doing Business in China 2017_Cover90x126

This Dezan Shira & Associates 2017 China guide provides a comprehensive background and details of all aspects of setting up and operating an American business in China, including due diligence and compliance issues, IP protection, corporate establishment options, calculating tax liabilities, as well as discussing on-going operational issues such as managing bookkeeping, accounts, banking, HR, Payroll, annual license renewals, audit, FCPA compliance and consolidation with US standards and Head Office reporting.

IC magazine frontcover 90x126

In this issue of China Briefing magazine, we provide foreign investors with best practices for implementing internal controls in China. We explain what makes China’s internal control environment distinct, and why China-based operations need to prioritize internal control. We then outline how to execute an internal control review to gauge organizational resiliency and identify gaps in control points, and introduce practical internal controls for day-to-day operations. Finally, we explore why ERP systems are becoming increasingly integral to companies’ internal control regimes.

9 responses to “Transit Visa Exemptions in China: 24 Hour, 72 Hour, and 144 Hour Options”

  1. Iamhere says:

    I have a few comments regarding this article:

    1. By referring to it as a “visa exemption” then you are inferring that there is no visa that is required, but it is rather a visa on arrival.

    2. Passengers arriving in one area may not leave that area for the duration of the time. So, if you arrive in Beijing then you can’t leave the Beijing city with that visa. There is an exception in some areas for a greater area allowed.

    3. Passengers must show a ticket for an on going destination in the same direction of travel, so for example Los Angeles –> Beijing –> Los Angeles would not work because the continuing destination is not westward.

  2. China Briefing says:

    Thanks for taking the time to read our article. Now, let’s dig-in:

    In response to your first question, the transit visa exemption is a very much a visa exemption. You receive an exemption for a visa that you would normally need to have. We are splitting hairs here, but it’s slightly different from visa free travel, and it’s the language used by authorities in the country.

    In response to your second question, each region has its own stipulations – some regions restrict movement within the region itself. Any restriction will have the greatest effect on travelers who obtained a 72- or 144-hour exemption and want to fly on to another city (which won’t be allowed).

    In response to your third question, the direction of the flight is not as important as the destination – you can’t get a visa exemption with a return ticket. To obtain a visa exemption, you need to be flying through China in transit to another country: from the US through China to India, for example.

    We hope this is helpful, but please feel free to reach out to our visa experts here:

  3. torrent56 says:

    It’s good to see an article explaining something that could confuse people a lot. However,

    1. I don’t think the 144-hour Guangdong province transit policy has been implemented yet. At the moment it’s still only the 72-hour visa transit policy.

    2. Citizens from Japan, Singapore, Brunei and Serbia actually wouldn’t benefit from this policy because they can already travel to China visa free for either 15 or 30 days.

  4. China Briefing says:

    Hello, and thanks for taking the time to write – we are happy to know this topic interests you.

    Thanks for raising the issue regarding Guangdong province-wide implementation. To date, we understand the 144-hour exemption is only available in two cities within Guangdong: Guangzhou and Shenzhen. As it’s a new option, we suspect that this exemption will remain limited to a small number of cities over the next year before any further expansion.

    And you are right — international travelers transiting through China should first check whether or not they are eligible for visa free travel. If Chinese authorities have granted citizens of your country permission for visa free travel, there is little need to exempt yourself from a visa in the first place. In either case, it’s always best to check with your local Chinese embassy before travel.

    Thanks again for your feedback.

  5. torrent56 says:

    Thanks for your reply! From what I know though in Guangdong province right now the only airport that allows visa-free transit for 72 hours is Guangzhou Airport which was implemented years ago now. Shenzhen Airport and the other airports haven’t implemented the policy yet.

  6. Katie says:

    Hi – I am planning to fly from London – Shanghai and use the 144 hour exemption as I will fly on to Japan. I will then fly from Japan back to Shanghai to spend 1 night and take the return flight to London, leaving the airport to go to my parents place in Shanghai and then re-checking my bags in, using the 24 hour exemption. Would there be any issue using two exemptions within a 2 week period? Thanks in advance!

  7. Eric says:


    I do have a specific question on the 144 hours Exemption Visa.
    I will be travelling from Japan to Shanghai by a cruise. I will arrive on a Friday morning and will depart on Monday evening with a Flight to Paris.
    As a French citizen, I believe I am eligible for the 144 hours Exemption Visa however, I would like to confirm this with you. I believe the port of entry and departure are in the list of Shanghai approved ones.

    Can you confirm that I do not need a visa in such situation?

    Thanks in advance,

  8. Michael Blackwood says:

    I see from your article that……. as of December 28, 2017, the 144 hour Transit Visa Exemption should by now have been extended to North China’s Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei region, namely: Beijing, Shijiazhuang, Tianjin, and Qinhuangdao.
    Does this mean that when I arrive in Tianjin by Cruise Ship; I will be able to leave the ship to go on tours in Beijing area by obtaining a 144 hour Transit Visa Exemption at the port ?

    We are in port for 60 hours, before the ship leaves for South Korea. I think this makes us eligible as UK passport holders, but I cannot get the cruise company to recognise this recent change.
    Do you know if it is possible to get the 144 hour Transit Visa Exemption at Tianjin Cruise Terminal ?

    I hope you can help by clarifying this as It would mean we wouldn’t need to apply for full tourist visas just to visit Beijing.
    Thank you

  9. China Briefing says:

    Hello Michael,

    The 144 hour visa exemption should apply at the cruise port. However, we recommend contacting your cruise line, local Chinese consulate, or the visa office of the Tianjin port to confirm your eligibility. Please contact our HR specialists for more information:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Dezan Shira & Associates

Meet the firm behind our content. Dezan Shira & Associates have been servicing foreign investors in China, India and the ASEAN region since 1992. Click here to visit their professional services website and discover how they can help your business succeed in Asia.

News via PR Newswire

Never Miss an Update

Subscribe to gain even better insights into doing business throughout the China. Subscribing also lets you to take full advantage of all our website features including customizable searches, favorites, wish lists and gift functions and access to otherwise restricted content.

Scroll to top